Home   Ashford   News   Article

Folkestone man arrested as Kingsnorth road rage victim Wayne Morton back with family in South Willesborough, Ashford, to see son's first birthday

More than a month after a mysterious road rage attack left him fighting for his life, Ashford father Wayne Morton is back home with his family.

But the father-of-seven is still no closer to finding out what happened the night he almost died as he has no memory of being set upon.

Speaking from his home in Clover Court, South Willesborough - surrounded by his wife, children, in-laws and other family members - Mr Morton described how he had been determined to get well for a double family celebration this week.

Attack victim Wayne Morton back at home with wife Kelly and (from left) children Leland and Declan, nephew Bradley, son Jack, niece Shannon and daughter Megan

He said: "When I first came round I said I wanted to be home for today because it will be Declan's first birthday and my 39th.

"I already missed Declan's first steps when I was in a coma and I didn't want to miss his birthday too. We'll probably go for a meal with all the family.

"On the night I was attacked I remember leaving my friend's house. I remember going past a petrol station and round a roundabout and then that's it. I don't know anything else. It's really frustrating."

Mr Morton is having physiotherapy as he can only walk short distances – he has been given a wheelchair – and he has temporary deafness in one ear from where he hit his head when he fell.

Due to the head injuries, the car enthusiast cannot drive again until he has passed a DVLA medical test, which might not be until January.

Ashford father Wayne Morton cuddles youngest son Declan, who is turning one

Mr Morton will soon undergo tests to see if he has suffered any permanent injuries.

He added: "It was a struggle to get up and walk but I didn't want to be in the hospital any more.

"If we go to Tesco I can do about two aisles then my legs start to give me grief and my back hurts.

"I don't know anything else. It's really frustrating - I just want to find out who it was..." - Wayne Morton

"I'm really pleased to be home. I feel OK. I don't feel myself still but the doctors said it will take a while to get some normality back."

Kelly Morton, 36, the mother of Declan, two-year-old Leland and Mr Morton's three step-children, is delighted to have her husband home.

She said: "I was happy when he came round because he recognised me. That was the main thing – he said my name and he remembered us all.

"It was quite emotional. I know he's feeling better because he's got his sense of humour back."

Mrs Morton had not let her children see their father while he was unconscious and, after he woke up, it took a while for the youngsters to get used to seeing him connected to wires and tubes, she said.

Wayne Morton with wife Kelly back at home after his stay in hospital

After being brought round from an induced coma, Mr Morton remained in hospital – first King's College in London and later Kent and Canterbury – for just more than a week before being allowed home at the beginning of the month.

Mr Morton was on his way back from a friend's house in Greatstone, Romney Marsh, just after 5am on Friday, July 4, when witnesses told police he had an argument with two men in a silver Vauxhall Vectra on a roundabout in Violet Way, Kingsnorth.

The couple were told police viewed CCTV at a nearby house but it did not show the attack.

Mrs Morton said a man stayed with her husband until an ambulance arrived.

Police today confirmed a 27-year-old Folkestone man has been arrested and bailed in connection with the attack.

He was arrested on Thursday, August 14 on suspicion of assault and after spending the night in police custody he was bailed until Tuesday, September 30.

Stories you might have missed

Postcode lottery of county's cancer survival rates

Southeastern one of UK's least trusted train firms

Floody Friday! Kent under new weather warning

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More