Published: 09:25, 07 December 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
A 79-year-old woman was taken to hospital when a fire broke out at her home last night.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service sent two fire engines to the house in The Haven, Kingsnorth, near Ashford, at 6.44pm after reports of a chip pan fire.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the blaze with a hose reel before clearing the property of smoke.
The woman was taken to hospital by ambulance for precautionary checks.
The fire caused a small amount of fire damage to the kitchen, but the whole house suffered heavy smoke damage.
Ashford watch manager Mark Thomas said: "The woman had cooked chips for dinner the previous evening, turning the cooker off at the wall but had unfortunately forgotten to turn the electric ring off.
"When she switched the oven on to warm her evening meal, she didn't realise the heat was on under her chip pan and in no time at all it had caught light.
"She was extremely lucky to have been alerted given that the battery was missing from the smoke alarm in her home, but she did the right thing by getting out of her home and phoning the fire service.
"The single most important life-saving device in your home is a working smoke alarm; they provide the early warning needed.
"Your neighbours, friends and loved-ones may need your help to protect themselves from the outbreak of fire and could benefit from safety advice."
Don't miss out, subscribe today. Keep up to date with our newsletters.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Find out what's going on in the garden, with Kent expert Lucy Hewett's weekly update.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.