Published: 15:00, 25 June 2014 |
Updated: 09:52, 26 June 2014
Ashford's Stour Centre was evacuated this afternoon following a chemical spillage.
One worker was treated by paramedics at the centre in Tannery Lane and about 150 people were left waiting outside.
Firefighters with specialist equipment were called just before 2pm after a chlorine gas leak was discovered in one room.
Earlier, incident commander Andrew McPherson said: "Approximately 150 people have been evacuated from the building. We believe an employee was mixing chemicals for use in the swimming pool. For an unknown reason the chemicals reacted badly.
"The employee was wearing the correct clothing, but complained of an irritation in his eyes. He has been checked over by paramedics. No one else has been reported as injured."
He added: "We sent in a team wearing breathing apparatus to ascertain the situation. We are currently ventilating the building using a positive ventilation fan. We're now monitoring the readings in the building and will do so until they are back down to zero. Only then will we leave."
Witnesses reported a strong smell of chlorine just before they were asked to leave the building.
Christopher Cox, 55, from Kennington, was taking part in a gym class when a member of staff asked him to leave the building.
Mr Cox, who works in retail sales, said: "There was no public announcement or alarm, just members of staff coming round. I was disappointed not to see staff in fluorescent jackets - we didn't know who was who. Quite frankly it was a bit of a poor show."
Emma Wood, chief executive of Ashford Leisure Trust, which runs the centre, said earlier: "The building was evacuated at 2pm following a report of a chlorine gas leak.
"We are currently in the hands of the emergency services and we are hoping to re-open in a couple of hours when it is safe to do so."
About 150 people - adults, children and staff - waited on the grass outside the centre.
Video: People evacuated at the leisure centre
One of the swimmers who was evacuated said: "There was a really strong chlorine smell and then we were asked to get out of the pool but no one was shouting and there were no alarms."
The centre was reopened after about two hours.
Ms Wood added: "We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank our customers on site for their co-operation and patience."
From academic achievements to engineering accolades and new facilities, Kent College offers students an outstanding school life.
Enter this month’s competition and you could win a luxurious return crossing!Sponsored editorial
There's no uniform or bells and students and staff are on first name terms. School life at Rochester Independent College is unique.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating!
PLUS, register for free!.
Read our pick of the best holiday destinations. Whether its a weekend break, or something a little bit longer, we have reviewed a wide range of holidays.