Published: 00:01, 26 April 2014
A mother claims she was left feeling sick to the stomach after her 11-year-old son cracked his head open on “rusty and outdated” play equipment.
Keaton Bradberry was taken to hospital after he sustained an injury at the play park off Hunter Road, Willesborough.
The John Wallis Primary School pupil had been playing with his sister Paiyten, four, and two cousins, when he hit his head on a metal bar under a bridge.
His mum Karen Bradberry, 33, said: “The children were playing and then the next thing I knew Keaton was hurt.
“I ran over to him and there was blood and tears everywhere. The cut was on top of his head and it was about an inch and a half long.
“I tried to stay calm, but I felt sick. My nerves went straight to my stomach.”
Miss Bradberry called for an ambulance and paramedics wrapped Keaton’s head in bandages before taking him to the William Harvey Hospital, where the cut was treated.
He was discharged that day but had to return to hospital when the cut started bleeding again.
Miss Bradberry, who has lodged a complaint with Ashford Borough Council, says she wants to warn other parents of the dangers of the play area.
“The incident has really shaken Keaton. He was scared to sleep that night – so was I. I kept thinking about what could have happened,” she added.
“It has ruined his Easter break.
“The playground is supposed to be somewhere safe for children, but somehow my son ended up in A&E.
“The edges on the bridge must be really sharp to cut his head. Or the rust might have pierced his skin.”
Miss Bradberry, of St Teresa’s Close, is now calling on the council to update the equipment.
She added: “I don’t want to do nothing. I’ve heard there have been accidents there before and I’d hate to hear of anything else happening.
“I’d love to see an updated play park, not just for my children but for others. It’s a lovely site and they could do so much with it.”
“I tried to stay calm, but I felt sick. My nerves went straight to my stomach” - Karen Bradberry
An Ashford council spokesman said: “We are sorry to hear that a boy suffered an injury at this playground, and we hope he makes a swift recovery.
“We have inspected the site thoroughly, and the inspector reported that there is no fault with the equipment.
“The equipment on site is not broken or worn out, and it is inspected twice a week from the beginning of April and throughout the summer.
“No other accidents have been reported at this play area, and all of our play equipment conforms to design and safety standards at the time of installation.”
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.