The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
18°C | 12°C
16°C | 7°C
18°C | 8°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Ashford News Article
"My mum does it for me" was just one excuse offered by tax credit claimants who forgot to renew their claim last year.
But whether your baby coloured in the paperwork or your dog ate the form, HM Revenue and Customs has warned that anyone who misses the July 31 renewal deadline risks losing their payments.
Tax credits are benefits paid to families, disabled workers and others employed on low incomes. Kent has the highest number of claimants in the south east with more than 118,700 people on the books.
Here are some more of the daftest reasons people have given for failing to renew their tax credit claims.
1. I didn't need the money because I'd met a rich bloke, but he dumped me
2. My mum usually does this for me
3. The form was locked in the boot of my car, and then my car caught fire
4. My baby used the paperwork as a colouring book
5. My dog ate the form
6. I got confused with the 31 January Self Assessment deadline
7. I booked the last two weeks of July for a holiday and forgot all about it
8. I've been in hospital but am feeling much better now
9. I was unable to get income details from my employers in time
10. I thought I'd already renewed
This year, for the first time, claimants can renew online, at GOV.UK, as well as being able to renew by post and phone.
Nick Lodge, director general of benefits and credits, HMRC, said: "So far, over 203,000 claimants have renewed online. It's quick and easy.
"Renewing tax credits on time is important. People who don't renew by the deadline can, and do, lose their payments."
Stories you might have missed
Fallon new defence secretary as two Kent MPs sacked
Fears for 'vulnerable' woman who vanished walking dog
Student faces jail over sex offences and blackmail
Scale of legal highs health fears 'only scratching surface'
Click here for more news from Ashford.
Click here for more news from around the county.