A popular teenage girl has died after taking a recreational drug at her home in Singleton.
Chloe Wilkes, 17, of Tunbridge Way, took psychoactive drug MDMA – the active ingredient in ecstasy tablets – at the house on Sunday, July 27, it was revealed at the opening of an inquest into her death.
She felt unwell and collapsed and was rushed to the William Harvey Hospital where she died later that day, the hearing in Folkestone was told.
Friends of the former North School pupil took to social media to express their shock and heartache.
Chloe Wilkes, 17 of Tunbridge Way, died after taking MDMA
Almost 300 friends and family members have joined a Facebook group set up to remember the teen, called ‘Chloe Wilkes! Little angel who’s now in good hands! We all miss you!’
Hundreds of messages reveal how much the youngster meant to those who knew her.
Luke Payne, who was close to Chloe, wrote: “RIP. Can’t stop thinking about you.
“I miss you so much, can’t believe I won’t ever see you again. I love u so much! You will never be forgotten.”
Tiffany King, who set up the page, posted: “Night Wilkes, have a nice time up there won’t ya! Will never forget ya and just thinking about our old childhood memories in the garden and toy room – funny times!
Chloe Wilkes having fun on the beach
"Think I will dig out the old baby photos of us on the bouncy castle!
“Miss you loads can’t believe this is really happening.”
“I miss you so much, can’t believe I won’t ever see you again. I love u so much!" - Luke Payne
Group members have been selling candles and collecting donations to give to Chloe’s family.
Chloe left The North School last year.
Executive head teacher Jon Whitcombe said: “These are a desperately sad set of circumstances and our thoughts are with family and friends at this most difficult of times.”
The inquest will be resumed at a later date when more evidence will be heard and a conclusion will be reached as to the cause of death.