Published: 00:01, 05 May 2013 |
Updated: 12:16, 08 May 2013
The grieving son of 90-year-old murder victim Geoffrey Bacon is convinced a renewed police appeal will finally uncover the “piece of garbage” who left him for dead three years ago in an attack that shocked the nation.
War veteran and retired postman Mr Bacon was brutally attacked by a vicious thug on his doorstep and died from his injuries three months later, broken mentally and physically by the crime.
The killer got away with his out-of-date bus pass and £40.
Now son Philip Bacon, of Manor Road, Tankerton, hopes the £40,000 reward put up by the Metropolitan Police and The Sun newspaper will entice someone to come forward with information.
The frail pensioner was attacked from behind as he returned from shopping to his Camberwell flat.
He was thrown to the floor, shattering his hip, and punched in the face. The robber then ransacked the second-floor flat.
The tragedy made national headlines and the renewed appeal, on the third anniversary of Mr Bacon’s death, April 26, 2010, has again sparked nationwide condemnation. Philip Bacon said: “The trouble is it all comes back.
“That poor man got knocked to the ground, stamped on and left for dead.
“Dad had been a fit and healthy man for 90. If it wasn’t for this piece of garbage he would still be alive.
“What makes me so angry is that if the attacker had asked my dad for money, he would have given him some.
“This new appeal brings it all back to life again. Someone must know something.”
Wife Jean spoke of her father-in-law’s popularity in the area of south London that he loved so much. His daily stroll became even more important to him after his wife Edith died in 2005.
She said: “He loved his balcony which he filled with flowers and he would stand there waving to people. He was very well known in Camberwell. He loved painting and joined the post office art club when he worked at Mount Pleasant.”
During his war service, Mr Bacon joined the Royal Engineers as a mechanic and became a respected driver in the Royal Artillery. He chauffeured Eisenhower in France and was described by a senior officer as a first class, reliable driver.
"What makes me so angry is that if the attacker had asked my dad for money, he would have given him some..." - Philip Bacon
“When dad was in hospital we asked if anyone had followed him,” said Philip Bacon. “He said not. We think the attacker went ahead of him to the floor above and waited for him until he returned. Unfortunately there was no CCTV.
“I can honestly say the police have been absolutely marvellous. One officer said to me that he dealt on a daily basis with tough crime, but my dad’s attack had really struck a chord with the officers.
DI Nathan Eason said: “ Geoffrey was an honest, decent man who bravely served his country. He had worked all his life and had earned the right to a peaceful and safe retirement.
“He did not deserve to have it taken from him in a cowardly attack.”
Philip Bacon added: “Something will come of this appeal I’m certain.
“You have got to be positive and if they do catch him I hope they throw the book at him so it acts as a deterrent.
“It could have been anybody’s dad.”
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
We have four editions of our Kent Homes, Gardens and Interiors magazine for you to read. Click here to view them all.