The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
7°C | -3°C
8°C | 3°C
11°C | 8°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Canterbury News Article
Two men have been charged after armed officers were called to an estate in Canterbury following a serious assault at a caravan site near Aylesham.
Steve Turner, 42, and Steve Lee Turner, 23, who both live at Snowdown caravan site, will face charges of GBH with intent. They have been remanded in custody.
A 20-year-old man is still being treated in hospital following the attack at Snowdown caravan site in the early hours of Saturday.
A woman, 46, who was arrested at the time on suspicion of assault causing grievous bodily harm has been released on bail until June 23, along with a 21-year-old man and 15-year-old boy, who were taken into custody yesterday.
On Saturday afternoon, neighbours watched in shock as armed police teams stormed into houses in Priest Avenue.
Some described watching several police cars and vans descend on the London Road estate, before firearms officers closed in on a semi-detached house.
Two men are then said to have emerged with their hands above their heads, but no arrests were made at the time.
The road was sealed off, and spectators gathered at the cordon to watch the drama unfold.
Yesterday, police confirmed they had been carrying out searches in the area and had seized a vehicle.
The earlier incident in Aylesham sparked a huge emergency response.
Police, fire and ambulance crews raced to the Snowdown caravan site in Aylesham Road just after 1.30am, and the police helicopter was also scrambled.
A man in his 20s was injured and rushed to hospital for treatment but his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.
It is not yet clear how he was hurt, but unconfirmed reports suggest a gun was involved. A van was also damaged in a fire at the scene.
Police spokesman Keith Fairbank said: "Kent Police has... made four arrests in connection with an incident at the Snowdown caravan site near Aylesham.
"The incident happened at 1:34am on 10 May, at which time a man in his 20s was injured.
"He has been taken to hospital where he continues to receive treatment. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
"A 46-year-old woman was initially arrested on suspicion of assault causing GBH. She has been bailed to 23 June.
"As part of their enquiries into the incident, police officers carried out searches in the Priest Avenue area of Canterbury on the afternoon of 10 May and seized a vehicle. No additional arrests were made at that time.
"On the morning of 11 May four males - aged 42, 23, 21 and 15 - were arrested on suspicion of assault and were taken in custody.
"Officers continue to make enquiries at the Snowdown caravan site."
Click here for more news from Canterbury.
Click here for more news from around the county.