Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Canterbury Rugby Club end 2012 on a high note with second away win of National 2 South season at Barking

Rugby stock

Canterbury secured their second away win of the National 2 South season with a 43-10 victory at Barking on Saturday.

The win, in the only game of the day played in their division, took the city club to eighth in the table, their highest position of the campaign.

Canterbury made a flying start against their winless hosts in a mud-bath in Essex with two tries in the first 12 minutes as their pack quickly imposed their authority but, despite dominating possession and territory, they could not add to their lead until just before half-time.

The early tries saw lock Tom Burns, in an impressive debut for his new club, announce himself by bursting on to Martyn Beaumont's pass and power over to leave Scott Browne an easy conversion.

Beaumont's pace brought the second after centre Alex Veale had driven hard to set up the position.

With Canterbury firmly in charge they threatened to sprint away with the game but never quite recaptured that early accuracy. Barking defended doggedly, made the occasional foray into enemy territory and were grateful to receive a good helping of penalties.

Fly-half Craig Ratford got them on the scoreboard with a penalty goal after a yellow card was waved at Tom Sherson. He was quickly followed to the sin-bin by the home side's Francis Ambrose.

A scrappy phase in the game ended when a city catch and drive brought a try for skipper Peter Kelly with an assist from Tom Rogers in the final minute of the half.

Three minutes after the break a power cut plunged the pitch into darkness but when the floodlights came back on it was Canterbury who lit up the proceedings as they rediscovered their wattage.

Great footwork by Tom Best left Barking floundering and his try was soon matched by one from elusive wing Mike Melford.

Browne converted both scores to stretch the lead to 28 and victory and the bonus points were guaranteed. Barking had their moment when solid forward pressure earned a quickly-taken penalty and Dave Kearsey scored a try which Ratford converted.

The return of the rain made it even harder for the players but Canterbury closed things out in style. Swift handling put Aiden Moss in for the sixth try before Beaumont crowned the day. The full-back's pace and guile took him the length of the field after a turnover for a spectacular score which Best had no trouble converting.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More