Share

Clear

Thu

11°C | 0°C

Clear

Fri

8°C | 2°C

Light rain

Sat

9°C | 8°C

Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Elderly woman suffers smoke inhalation after microwaving cutlery in Sturry Hill, Canterbury

31 January 2014
by Lowri Stafford

An elderly woman was rushed to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation - after microwaving cutlery.

The metal knives and forks were being stored in the microwave, which accidentally switched on - causing the handles to burn and filling the house with fumes.

Fire crews were called to the scene

Fire crews were called to a roof fire in Goudhurst

The woman turned off the microwave, but inhaled the strong smoke that was billowing from the appliance.

Fire crews were called to the woman's house in Sturry Hill, Canterbury just before 8pm yesterday.

They arrived within seven minutes and gave the woman first aid, including oxygen.

An ambulance was also sent to the house, and the woman was taken to hospital.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service has since issued a warning to remind people to take care in the kitchen.

Canterbury crew manager Paul Moore says: "Mistakes can and do happen so the best advice I can give people is to always take care in the kitchen and keep flammable items away from potential heat sources.
 
"Thankfully the microwave didn’t catch alight but the woman had inhaled quite a lot of the fumes so we provided oxygen until the paramedics arrived at the scene."
 
For further safety advice, call 0800 923 7000 or visit www.3breaths.info.

Click here for more news from Canterbury.

Click here for more news from around the county.