Share

Broken cloud

Wed

°C | 15°C

Broken cloud

Thu

23°C | 15°C

Moderate showers

Fri

22°C | 13°C

Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Man in his 50s treated for smoke inhalation after leaving oven on and falling asleep, causing flat fire in Castle Street, Canterbury

25 July 2014
by Lowri Stafford

Firefighters had to break down a door after a man switched on his oven and dozed off, sparking a fire.

Two crews were called to the flat in Castle Street, Canterbury at 9pm yesterday.

The resident, aged in his 50s, had started cooking but fell asleep without turning the oven off.

Crews were called to the flat fire in Castle Street (stock image)

Crews were called to the flat fire in Castle Street (stock image)

The smoke alarm failed to wake him up, but a neighbour heard it and called emergency services.

Crews had to smash down the door to get into the flat, and the man was treated for smoke inhalation.

The blaze was contained to the oven, and firefighters spent 15 minutes putting it out with a hose reel.

Click here for more news from Canterbury.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.