The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
19°C | 10°C
21°C | 13°C
22°C | 12°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Canterbury News Article
A crisp lover who spotted a white pill in a packet of her favourite snacks said it could have made her sick father seriously ill.
Tara Dolman was “disgusted” to find the tablet in a bag of beef-flavoured Seabrook crisps.
And the 22-year-old fears her father’s life could have been put in danger if he had inadvertently swallowed the mystery medication.
Miss Dolman, a cash officer who lives in George Roche Road, Canterbury, with parents Timothy, 53, and Monica, 56, said: “I started eating them as normal when I spotted it.
“At first I thought it might’ve been a lump of salt.
“Then I poured them onto a plate and saw the broken-up piece of tablet. It looked like a painkiller.
“It shouldn’t have been in there. Luckily, it didn’t affect me but what if it had been a child or a sick person? Children will put anything in their mouths.
“My father is recovering from cancer, has diabetes and takes a lot of medication.
“He had his teeth removed after first being so he crumbles up crisps and tips them in his mouth so he wouldn’t have spotted the tablet.
“If he had swallowed it and it had reacted with his medication, it could have been a different outcome.”
Miss Dolman contacted Seabrook Crisps’ head office in Yorkshire to complain, and was initially offered a refund.
But she wants checks to be put in place to prevent another slip-up, and has sent the tablet to the Food Standards Agency for testing.
She continued: “I’m from Yorkshire originally and they’re very popular there.
“For this to happen at a big company that’s been running since 1945 is shocking" - Tara Dolman
“For this to happen at a big company that’s been running since 1945 is shocking.
“It’s put me off buying them in future.
“Something’s obviously gone wrong at the factory. I just can’t trust them any more.”
Seabrook Crisps spokesman Kevin Butterworth said: “We are aware of the incident and are following protocol.
“We’re obviously concerned about this and take every case seriously.
“We are awaiting the results of the testing before taking action.”
Click here for more news from Canterbury.
Click here for more news from around the county.