Heavy showers


14°C | 6°C

Sunny spells


16°C | 10°C

Light rain


16°C | 8°C

Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Two houses damaged after tumble dryer catches light in garden shed in Aylesham

28 February 2014
by Gerry Warren


A fire engine

A fire engine

Fire fighters are warning homeowners about the dangers of leaving tumble dryers unattended after an outbuilding burned down and two homes were damaged.

It happened in Milner Crescent, Aylesham, around 5.45pm yesterday afternoon.

Crews were called after a shed was reported alight and a local police community support officer attempted to put it out using a garden house,

Two fire engines were sent to the property and crews used a high pressure hose reel to put out the blaze, which completely destroyed the shed before spreading to the house, affecting the windows, fascia and guttering.

The fire also damaged fascia, guttering and a conservatory on a neighbouring property.

It is believed the machine was left running while the occupants were out and a neighbour raised the alarm.

Canterbury Watch Manager, Scott Pearce, said: “Fire can break out in electrical appliances when you least expect it. So it’s best not to leave tumble dryers, washing machines and dishwashers running while you are out or overnight.

"They are a fire risk because of their high wattage, friction and motors. They get very hot and need to be ventilated properly and kept uncluttered so the heat can escape.

“If you follow this rule but notice an appliance is unusually hot, call a qualified electrician who will be able to check its safe.”

The fire was out by 6.18pm and crews remained at the scene damping down for a further 20 minutes.

Click here for more news from Canterbury.

Click here for more news from around the county.