Share

Light showers

Sat

13°C | 7°C

Thunderstorm

Sun

13°C | 6°C

Light showers

Mon

17°C | 7°C

Home   Canterbury   News   Article

'Sick' trap lures David Aldridge and Clare Price's dog Jenna to injure her paw on broken glass in Cherry Orchard playing fields in Herne

02 January 2014
by Aidan Barlow

David Aldridge and partner Clare Price of Woodrow Chase, Herne, walk their three-year-old dog Jenna every day in the nearby Cherry Orchard playing fields.

But recently Jenna injured her paw on broken glass and had to be taken to the vet.

Jenna's injuries after walking on broken glass

Jenna's injuries after walking on broken glass

The couple were shocked to find a dozen dog biscuits had been left, they believe deliberately, close to the smashed bottle.

Mr Aldridge, 42, who owns Herne Bay Mobility, said: “We go for our walk there pretty much every day. We are always careful of broken glass as it’s a well-used playing field.

“But then we saw that there were about half a dozen dog biscuits left there.

“It’s sick, it’s not something that a normal, sane person does. It was a disgusting and horrendous thing to do. Just weird.

“If I could say anything to the person who left the dog biscuits, I would ask why? Where do you get off on that?

Glass found on the playing field in Herne

Glass found on the playing field in Herne

“I can’t really work out why anybody would want to do anything like that. The glass would injure an animal or child. It wouldn’t achieve anything.”

The couple had to take Jenna to the Animed Veterinary Centre in Whitstable where her wounds were dressed and bandaged.

Mr Aldridge added: “She has her pad bandaged and she’s not very mobile at the moment.

“She was in distress because you can’t tell them about treatment and antibiotics.

Dave Aldridge and Clare Price with Jenna

“It has caused a lot of hassle with trips to the vet and the expense of it.”

Miss Price, 34, said: “I’m really annoyed. Jenna is my baby so it’s very sad. It’s hard not to take it personally.”

“It’s sick, it’s not something that a normal, sane person does. It was a disgusting and horrendous thing to do" - David Aldridge

Last month a dog called Mia suffered severe bleeding after cutting its paw open while walking in long grass near Swalecliffe but there were no reports of dog biscuits being left there.

Animed vet Mark Moreton said: “We see three or four injuries like this every week. It can cause serious damage to nerves, tendons and blood vessels which may lead to loss of limbs.

“But most of the time the damage is superficial.

“The best thing an owner can do is put some material over the wound and apply pressure to stop the bleeding. They should then see the vet straight away.”

Click here for more news from Canterbury.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 
Sorry, comments are not enabled for this article.

Login or register to post commentsPost Comment

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.