Published: 00:01, 05 February 2016
Prosecutors are set to announce whether a father shot by police during an armed stand-off a year ago is to face charges.
Marc Traylor was gunned down by officers in a tense siege in which his 16-year-old daughter suffered life-threatening stab wounds.
The 41-year-old, who was left in a coma, remains bedridden in a London hospital 12 months on and is expected to need lifelong medical care after he was shot in the head and body.
Independent police investigators are yet to release a long-awaited report into the drama, which happened in The Avenue, Hersden, in February last year.
The incident sparked an attempted murder investigation, with Mr Traylor interviewed by detectives at his bedside.
The family are awaiting a decision on whether charges will be brought.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said its announcement will be made shortly.
Meanwhile, a spokesman for the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said the release of its report hinged on the CPS decision.
The spokesman said: “Our investigation has concluded and the final report is being finalised.
“We are liaising with Kent Police concerning their parallel criminal investigation and
will seek to publish our findings once that and any potential associated criminal justice process has concluded.”
Mr Traylor’s wife, Nicole, who visits her husband regularly, said the uncertainty was taking its toll on the family.
She said: “The family are struggling with the situation but are trying to get on with our lives.
“Marc is always in our thoughts and hearts.”
Armed officers and trained negotiators were called to the family’s semi-detached home at about 11pm on February 8, following concerns for the teenage girl.
Emergency crews remained on standby and a helicopter hovered overhead. At about 1am witnesses heard shots ring out and Mr Traylor was critically injured.
It subsequently emerged that four weapons were fired by police during the stand-off.
Officers used two Tasers and a rubber-baton launcher before Mr Traylor was shot with a police-issue handgun.
The IPCC was called in to investigate and had a presence at the scene for two days.
An independent ballistics expert combed the house, while IPCC investigators oversaw the recovery of evidence and conducted house-to-house inquiries.
Firearms officers involved were interviewed and treated as “significant witnesses”.
The IPCC confirmed the four weapons used had been taken away for testing.
Two knives were also recovered from the house by police.
IPCC commissioner Mary Cunneen said at the time: “My thoughts are with all those involved in this serious incident.
“Our investigators have met the family to explain our role and we will keep them updated as our investigation progresses.
“Although incidents of this nature are rare, when someone is shot by the police it is right that it is subject to rigorous independent scrutiny.
“We have made good progress recovering evidence that will help provide an understanding of what happened.”
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.