Share

Sunny spells

Sun

18°C | 7°C

Sunny spells

Mon

18°C | 7°C

Sunny spells

Tue

19°C | 8°C

Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Flat blaze in Wincheap, Canterbury, caused by tumble dryer which burst into flames

18 February 2014
by Gerry Warren

Two fire crews were called to the scene

Fire crews were called to a roof fire in Goudhurst

A smoke alarm almost certainly saved the life of a woman when it woke her at 4am this morning after her tumble dryer caught light.

It happened in Wincheap, Canterbury, and she called 999 and fled the ground floor flat in her night clothes.

When firefighters arrived the dryer had burst into flames and the kitchen and and rest of the property was filled with smoke.

Canterbury crew manager Steve Davies said: "There is no doubt her smoke alarm was a life saver because she could have been fast asleep with the flat full of smoke.

"She got out just in time because just before we arrived the dryer burst into flames and the kitchen was quite badly damaged and flat smoke-logged.

"We urge everyone to have a smoke alarm fitted and make sure there are good batteries in it."

 

Click here for more news from Canterbury.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.