Mostly Cloudy


15°C | 8°C

Mostly Cloudy


18°C | 8°C

Sunny spells


16°C | 10°C

Home   Canterbury   Sport   Article

Canterbury edge to 32-30 win at National 2 South relegation scrappers Bournemouth to consolidate second place

24 February 2014
by Alex Hoad

Canterbury Rugby Club's Martyn Beaumont

Canterbury Rugby Club's Martyn Beaumont

Canterbury were given a real scare by National 2 South relegation scrappers Bournemouth before edging to a 32-30 win on Saturday.

Despite being far from their best, the city club found a way to win their eighth game in nine, running in five tries, including a hat-trick from fullback Martyn Beaumont.

Tom Best’s penalty put the visitors ahead though a Wyn Roberts try, converted by George Drake turned the game around.

The city club replied with a try for flanker Brook Cowan following a driving maul from a lineout, and two more tries followed in quick success as Guy Hilton sent Beaumont away from his own half to score between the posts, with Best converting, and Ricky Mackintosh freed Beaumont to make it 20-7 soon after.

Drake pulled back a penalty before the break and 13 minutes after the turnaround the game was level after a Drake penalty and a converted try, when Drake freed Alan Manning to touch down.

The city club rallied and secured the bonus point with George Micans scoring after a flowing move, however ill-discipline led to a Drake penalty to close the gap.

A stunning run from Mackintosh led to Beaumont completing his treble, with Rueben Mears adding the extras to give the visitors a nine-point lead with 10 minutes remaining.

However Bournemouth battled on, winning a penalty which led to a catch-and-drive try from a lineout by Jack Hemmings, with Drake’s fine conversion making for a frantic finale.

The five-point haul left Canterbury seven points behind leaders Hartpury College and seven clear of third-placed Ampthill, who do retain a game in hand.

Click here for more sport from Canterbury.

Click here for more news from around the county.