An unlikely train of events led to a blaze that destroyed half of a kitchen in Greenhithe.
A vacuum cleaner toppled over in a kitchen at a home in Eagles Road in Greenhithe on Thursday afternoon.
It fell onto a switch of an electric oven which turned on and began heating up.
The homeowners, who were out at the time, returned to find their house filled with smoke, just before 3.30pm.
Two fire engines were sent and crews quickly got the flames under control before cutting away parts of the kitchen cupboards to check for fire spread.
A thermal imaging camera was used to check for hot spots
Dartford watch manager Dave Boakes said: "The fire had been smouldering for some time before we were alerted. The heat had cracked window panes and melted the cupboard fronts. The whole property was filled with thick black smoke.
"This highlights how easily a fire can break out. My advice to residents is to ensure cookers and other appliances are always switched off after use and never store items around ovens and hobs.
"It is essential that you have working smoke alarms fitted in your home as they provide an early warning of fire."
The fire also caused heavy smoke damage throughout the house.
Don't miss out, subscribe today. Keep up to date with our newsletters.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Find out what's going on in the garden, with Kent expert Lucy Hewett's weekly update.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.