Home   Dartford   News   Article

Firefighters tackle blazes at Burberry Lane, Leeds, Riverview Park in Gravesend, Hook Green Road, Southfleet, and Nackington Road, Canterbury

By Nicola Jordan

Fire crews are tackling yet another blaze on farm land in Kent - the fourth in less than 24 hours.

They were called to a field of standing corn alight at Burberry Lane, Leeds, near Maidstone at 3.50pm today.

Three fire engines attended and an all terrain vehicle was also brought in, as the rural area was difficult to reach with a normal fire engine.

At 7.30pm, Kent Fire and Rescue Service was reporting that crews were still at the scene.

Crews worked hard to keep the fire contained and stop it spreading to neighbouring properties and fields.

Earlier in the day, 15 acres of corn went up in smoke near Riverview Park in Gravesend.

About 30 firefighters tackled the blaze which started at about 1.20pm in fields next to the housing estate.

Crews from Thames-side, Dartford and Strood used one main jet, a hose reel and beaters to control the fire off Gazelle Glade. The incident, what at one point involved six engines, was being scaled down just over two hours later.

The fire near Riverside Park. Photo: @benhomewood_
The fire near Riverside Park. Photo: @benhomewood_

At 7am today, firefighters were called to a haystack alight off Nackington Road, Canterbury.One fire crew from Canterbury damped down the blaze. The haystack was roughly 15ft by 15ft. More than 30 firefighters tackled a massive blaze on farmland in Southfleet last night.

The fire, in Hook Green Road, broke out at about 11pm and destroyed tyres, a haystack, skip and unoccupied caravan.

Crews used compressed air foam to stop flames spreading to standing corn.

The fire at Southfleet. Picture: @joanneroberts77
The fire at Southfleet. Picture: @joanneroberts77

Danny Turner, crew manager from Thames-side who were first on the scene, said when they arrived it was well alight.

He said : "It had potential to spread rapidly, but thankfully investment in the compressed foam paid off. We were able to spray it on to the tyres, which was the main source."

Crews from Dartford, Swanley and Strood were there for up to three hours at the height of the fire. A water unit was called, but not used.

Three pumps remained at the scene this morning to keep a "watching brief".

Police are investigating.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More