Published: 14:24, 04 August 2017 |
Updated: 14:27, 04 August 2017
A resident has their neighbours to thank for raising the alarm when fire broke out in their flat.
Crews were called to Fulwich Road, Dartford, at 10.30am today after neighbours smelt smoke coming from the first floor flat.
Firefighters found a blaze in the kitchen, which had started on the cooker and spread to a kitchen unit.
It is believed that the occupant had been boiling a pan of water containing baby feeding equipment on the hob, and had forgotten to switch it off before going out.
The water boiled dry, setting the contents alight.
The fire was contained to the kitchen, causing damage to the top of the cooker and part of the worktop. The rest of the flat was smoke logged.
Dartford watch manager John Allright said: “It is fortunate that the neighbours were in when the fire started and noticed the smoke when they did. Without them raising the alarm this fire would have been much more serious.
“Although there was a smoke alarm in the property, the batteries appear to have been removed by the occupant, because of previous occasions where cooking fumes had set it off.”
The crew gave safety advice and fitted new smoke alarms, repositioning one of them further away from the kitchen to avoid cooking fumes setting it off.
Watch manager Allright added: “If your smoke alarm keeps going off due to cooking fumes, it may be tempting to deactivate it, however we would strongly advise against doing this as it won’t alert you in the event of an actual fire.
“It is much safer to relocate it, as we did today, or to consider replacing it with a heat detecting alarm.”
If you would like safety advice, contact Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) on 0800 923 7000 or email email@example.com.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
We have four editions of our Kent Homes, Gardens and Interiors magazine for you to read. Click here to view them all.