Home   Dartford   News   Article

Tributes to councillor Dulcie Jones who served for 45 years in Stone and Dartford

Stone Parish Council has paid tribute to former councillor Dulcie Jones, who has died.

Mrs Jones, who died last Thursday and was in her 80s, served as a parish councillor from 1966 to 2011 and was Mayoress of Dartford in both 1998 and 2000, and deputy mayoress in 2002.

Her service was recognised in 2009 through the naming of Dulcie Close at Horns Cross.

The council expressed its sympathies to Dulcie’s husband Ivor, their two daughters, Rachel and Ceinwen, and grandchildren.

Ivor Jones and his wife Dulcie
Ivor Jones and his wife Dulcie

In tribute to Mrs Jones the council is making available the minutes of the council meeting in November 1966 at which she was co-opted to the council.

It will be part of the Stone Heritage Project, a digitisation of council minutes from its first meeting in 1896 to date.

Memorabilia, photos and other material compiled through memories workshop and other activities will be also be made available to view online in a dedicated history website.

Mr Jones was elected to Stone Parish Council in 1955 and held a position there until his retirement in 2011.

The couple married at St Mary’s the Virgin, Stone, in 1955.

He was elected to the new Dartford District Council in 1973 for the Stone South Ward and held the position of leader of the district council from 1974 to 1982.

In 1995, he was re-appointed as leader of the borough council, a position he held until 1998. He remained an elected member of Dartford council until he retired in 2007.

A second Stone Parish Memories workshop will take place on Saturday, May 10, at Stone Pavilion, Hayes Road.

Stone residents, present or past, are asked to take part on the day which will include a talk, memories discussion, free lunch and an afternoon visit to Stone Pit I.

Historian Christoph Bull will give a talk entitled The Incredible Shrinking Parish of Stone which will look at the changes over the years.

Residents are invited to bring along Stone-related material for use in the archive. The day will start at 10am, with lunch served at 1pm and finish about 4pm.

The event is free but places must be booked by calling 01322 384400 or emailing bookings@stoneparishcouncil.com

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More