Mum Kerry Finch tells of ordeal after fire at Dartford flat above pizza takeaway
A woman and her teenage daughter are waiting
to find out where their next home will be after a devastating
Kerry Finch, 33, and 13-year-old daughter Paris were in their
flat at The Brent, Dartford, when a blaze broke out last night.
Their home became smoke-logged when the Pizza Point takeaway
below them caught fire at about 11.30pm.
"We could have been burned alive," said an angry Ms Finch.
The flat had a smoke alarm, but no battery.
"By the time the fire brigade came to the back of the flat and
banged on the door I was unable to speak because of the smoke."
It took 20 firefighters four hours to control the blaze. It was
thought to have been started by an electrical fault.
The couple's two dogs are being looked after by a Red Cross
Around 10% of the shop was damaged by fire and the flat was
about 80% smoke damaged.