Tea light fire in Dartford
A woman slipped and cut her arm
and suffered smoke inhalation after a fire last night.
Firefighters from Dartford were
called to a house in Turner Court just before 11pm.
The fire is believed to have
been caused after the woman, thought to be in her early 60’s, had
left a tea light burning on the television before she went to
Dartford watch manager Dave Read
said: "The property had a working smoke alarm which woke the
"On discovering the fire she
attempted to extinguish it by throwing water over it.
"Unfortunately, this made the
laminate flooring wet and she slipped, cutting her arm. She also
suffered slight smoke inhalation
"Luckily the woman was still
able to get out of her property to safety but had she been
seriously injured during the fall, the outcome could have been very
"Just three breaths of fire
smoke can be enough to knock you unconscious."
They used a hose reel to tackle
the small fire and a ventilation fan to clear the house of
Paramedics carried out
precautionary checks at the scene and treated the woman for minor