Woman taken to hospital after 'rottweiler starts Dartford hob fire'
A woman has been taken to hospital after
her dog is thought to have started a fire in her kitchen by turning
on the hob.
Firefighters believe the rottweiler, similar to the one pictured
right, caused the blaze at the Dartford house this
Two crews were called to the Willow Road home at about 12.15pm
after the woman phoned 999.
She had left laundry on top of the hob before collecting
her daughter from nursery. When she returned, smoke was billowing
from the house.
The woman rescued her dog from the smoke-filled house - but
suffered breathing difficulties.
Around 10 firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished
the blaze and used a fan to clear smoke from the property.
The fire destroyed 20% of the kitchen and smoke damaged the
Dartford fire station watch manager Bob Chilmaid said: "After
calling the fire service, the woman entered her home and brought
her rottweiler dog out to safety, but suffered smoke inhalation in
"We gave her oxygen therapy and she was then taken to hospital
by ambulance crews for precautionary checks.
"Just three breaths of fire smoke can knock you unconscious so
don't put yourself at risk by stopping to investigate the fire or
to collect pets or valuables. Just tell the fire crews when they
arrive – we'll be able to find them quicker and more safely than
He added: "The safest option is to make sure cookers and other
appliances are always fully switched off after use and never store
items around ovens and hobs."