Family flee kitchen fire
A young family had a lucky escape when burning fat caused severe
smoke damage to their home.
Firefighters from Dartford were called to Bower Road, Hextable
Once there they found a pan of hot fat left unattended had set
the kitchen units on fire and caused severe smoke damage to the
remainder of the house.
Dartford watch manager Lee Abel said: “This was a very close
call for this young family. Luckily the smoke detector sounded,
raising the alarm, giving the man, his wife and young child the
valuable minutes needed to get out of their detached home to
“The man returned to the fire, removed the pan from the heat and
threw it out of the window, extinguishing the fire. Fortunately, he
wasn’t hurt but it could have been a very different story.
“If you have a chip pan fire, never move the pan or throw water
over it – it could explode causing serious injury.
"Turn off the heat – if you can do so safely - and get out of
your home. Your property and possessions are replaceable, your life
Fire crews used a fan to clear the smoke-logged kitchen
and fitted extra smoke alarms in the house.