Home   Deal   News   Article

Dover Athletic 3 Welling United 2

Dover v Welling

Dover's Calum Willock makes it 2-2 against Welling with an overhead kick at Crabble on Saturday                                                Picture: Tony Flashman

Chris Kinnear worked his magic as Dover ended Welling's 12-match winning run in Blue Square Bet South on Saturday.

An all-action affair saw the visitors lead twice before substitute Billy Bricknell nodded in an 85th minute winner for Whites and hand boss Kinnear a second win in two games in charge.

Barry Cogan blazed over the bar inside the first minute before Welling's outstanding player, Joe Healy, put his team ahead inside five minutes. Ross Lafayetee's knockdown fell invitingly for Healy just outside the area and he produced an unstoppable 20-yard left-foot drive beyond keeper Mitch Walker.

Dover's response was immediate as Welling let a long throw-in bounce inside their penalty area and Ben May forced the ball home from close range.

Welling played the better football, their neat exchange and movement which had become a cornerstone of their winning streak was again to the fore. One such move nearly paid dividends in the 23rd minute when full-back Barney Williams exchanged passes with Kiernan Hughes-Mason and Healy's sidefoot finish was deflected wide by Lloyd Harrington.

The visitors restored their lead just before the half-hour as a corner was not cleared and Hughes-Mason's low drive saw Harrington's attempted clearance hit Lee Clarke and loop into the net.

Dover nearly replied immediately but Sam Mott saved Moses Ademola's low drive and May's close-range header was deflected wide by Ben Martin.

Another flowing move from Welling on the stroke of half-time nearly extended their lead as Jake Gallagher, Healy and Jack Obersteller worked their way down the left-wing, only for Mitchell to turn behind Obersteller's low left-foot drive.

Dover levelled matters on 55 minutes when a corner was never cleared and substitute Calum Willock's close-range overhead kick proved too good for Mott.

Although Dover had the upper hand after the break, chances were at a premium at both ends although substitute Steven Thomson was stopped in his tracks by an offside flag after an impressive break by Cogan with 12 minutes left.

That should have served as a warning for Welling, instead Dover repeated the trick with five minutes left to find the winner.

Presented with a shooting chance, Willock appeared to have run the ball too far but his cross was perfect for Bricknell to head in unmarked five yards out.

Welling could have levelled in stoppage time but substitute Theo Fairweather-Johnson's hesistation let in Tyrone Sterling to make a last-ditch tackle and clear the danger.


Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More