Home   Deal   News   Article

Michelle Fraser warns of synthetic drug fentanyl after death of son Robert, of St Francis Close, Deal

By Sam Lennon

A warning has been issued after a teenager died in the first drugs case of its kind in Kent.

Robert Fraser, 18, from Deal, is the only person known to have died from taking the synthetic drug fentanyl, which is up to 100 times stronger than heroin.

After the inquest both police and his mother, Michelle, warned of the dangers of the substance.

Robert Fraser
Robert Fraser

Insp Garry Brimson said: “Although we are not aware of any significant issues with fentanyl use in Kent, people should be aware that this synthetic drug can be up to 100 times more potent than heroin.

"If anyone has concerns about their drug use we would advise them to seek medical attention and also speak to a treatment provider.”

Ms Fraser said this week: “I would really like to highlight how dangerous this drug is and that Robert and his friends didn’t know what it was.

"He is missed every day by all his friends and family.

"Just when I think no one cares I get a message or a memory, a video and pictures from his friends reminding me how much he was loved, how kind and thoughtful he was and also his catchphrase, ‘a hug cures everything’.”

Robert, of St Francis Close, Deal, died from an overdose of fentanyl.

It is usually used in hospital or a medical setting, which he had obtained from the streets.

A coroner recorded the cause of death as an accidental overdose.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More