Published: 17:00, 13 February 2018
A Deal landlady has been fined almost £8,000 after ten people contracted food poisoning after eating at her venue.
Deborah Doyle, 46, of the New Inn, pleaded guilty to nine food hygiene offences when she appeared at Canterbury Magistrates Court.
The successful prosecution by Dover District Council comes after at least 10 people became ill with Salmonella food poisoning after eating there in September 2016.
Inspectors investigating the outbreak found food was unfit, out of date and not being stored at a safe temperature.
There were also poor controls against cross contamination and the premises and equipment was not being kept clean.
As a result, the pub agreed not to serve food for three days while improvements to hygiene standards were made.
Mrs Doyle must now pay £3,500 for hygiene offences, a £170 victim surcharge and costs of £4,087 - a total of £7,757.
The pub has today spoken out saying it is "at a loss" as to how it happened.
A spokesman for the New Inn said: "In September 2016 it was Braderie Day in Deal.
"On that day we had hundreds of people come through the door for meals.
"Unfortunately, five people were affected by food poisoning and we are at a loss as to how that happened.
"We have actively changed our food standards to make sure it doesn't happen again and we have a new chef in post.
"Since that day we have remained open and served food to literally hundreds of people at the premises and no further incidents of this nature have occurred."
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.