Home   Deal   News   Article

Deal teenager Robert Fraser's ashes scattered by fireworks over the sea

By Eleanor Perkins

The mother of teenager Robert Fraser, who died of an unintentional drug overdose, says a firework spectacle containing his ashes was the perfect send-off for her son.

Around 100 people gathered on Deal beach last night to bid the keen skateboarder a final farewell ahead of what would have been his 19th birthday tomorrow.

The event had been organised by his mother Michelle Fraser, who felt scattering his ashes in any other way just didn’t seem fit.

Fireworks containing Robert Fraser's ashes were set off on Deal beach. Picture Calum Forrester

Fireworks containing Robert Fraser's ashes were set off on Deal beach. Picture: Calum Forrester

She told KentOnline: “He was so full of life, it seemed appropriate to celebrate him in this way. I didn’t want to hide him away."

Seven rockets containing the 18-year-old’s ashes were made by Universal Fireworks in Hythe, who also let off the display with approval from Dover District Council.

Robert’s friends had raised £500 between them to cover the cost of it.

Michelle Fraser with her son's ashes before they were put into the fireworks

Michelle Fraser with her son's ashes before they were put into the fireworks

Mrs Fraser said: “We had a lot more people there than expected. It was the perfect send off and a fitting tribute to such a loving young soul.

“He would have loved it. The weather cleared up just in time for it so I think he was sitting up there on his throne looking down at us with a big smile on his face.”

Following the display, people let off purple balloons, the colour for overdose awareness and the Talk It Out group in Deal who have been supporting Mrs Fraser.

The firework display was attended by about 100 of Robert's friends and family. Picture Calum Forrester

The firework display was attended by about 100 of Robert's friends and family. Picture: Calum Forrester

She added: “I’d like to say thank you to all friends and family for their support.”

Robert, a former Castle Community College pupil, died on November 19, 2016 after an unintentional overdose of fentanyl - a strong painkiller usually used in hospital or a medical setting, which he had obtained from the streets.

Speaking at his inquest, investigating officer DS Brian Doughty said it was the first time in his career he had come across the drug in a case.

Robert Fraser with his mum Michelle

Robert Fraser with his mum Michelle

Mrs Fraser has spent the last 11 months raising awareness of the lethal drug through numerous media interviews.

She is meeting with Deal MP Charlie Elphicke on Thursday to discuss a future campaign to help teenagers in the area.

She said: “I want to see if we can do something to help teenagers who are being offered these drugs.

“That will be Rob’s legacy and a hug cures everything will be our moto as that is what he believed.”

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More