Published: 10:00, 04 March 2016 |
An ex-smoker faces a skin graft in a burns unit after his e-cigarette batteries exploded in his pocket and set his trousers on fire.
Robbie Robson suffered second and third degree burns to his legs when the Chinese-made hardware "went off like a firework".
The 24-year-old from Aylesham has told how he was shopping in a convenience store when the batteries blew up.
He said: "They went off like a firework and then my trousers caught alight. I just tried to put the fire out as quickly as possible and managed to get the batteries out of my trousers.
"I have second degree and third degree burns and will find out soon whether I need a skin graft."
Mr Robson, of Cornwallis Road, says he kicked a 30-a-day cigarette habit seven months ago.
Since then he has been using e-cigarettes as a substitute.
He says he always carries batteries on him to charge the device if it runs out of power.
On Saturday, February 20, Mr Robson was shopping in the Mini Market in Aylesham when disaster struck.
The explosion has left him unable to walk until the burns begin to heal.
Since then, partner Kerry Vinson has ferried him to and from Kent and Canterbury Hospital for treatment.
He has also been treated at a specialist burns unit at the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead, Sussex.
In Bury, Greater Manchester, a 47-year-old dad suffered horrific burns to his legs when e-cigarette batteries exploded in his pocket as he roller-skated with his children.
Mick Bennett was hospitalised for 10 days after the battery "went off like a rocket".
Another victim, mum Jana Barker, was left with burns to her legs after a similar battery exploded in her handbag while she was in the car on the M60 near Manchester with her daughter and husband.
And just weeks earlier, another young woman ended up needing plastic surgery after her battery combusted in her flat.
Mr Robson says his injuries have not put him off using e-cigarettes.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating!
PLUS, register for free!.
Read our pick of the best holiday destinations. Whether its a weekend break, or something a little bit longer, we have reviewed a wide range of holidays.