Home   Dover   Sport   Article

Dover Athletic 0 Boreham Wood 1 - match report

By Alex Hoad

Dover's reign at the top of National League was ended after just a game as they suffered a 1-0 home defeat to Boreham Wood on Tuesday night.

The hosts failed to create any chances on a grim evening at Crabble, the first and only real action for the visitors keeper Grant Smith coming two minutes from the end.

The only goal came from a Dover error just before the break as former Bromley man Blair Turgott pounced on a slip to beat Mitch Walker at the second time of asking as Whites slipped to fifth in the table.

Dover manager Chris Kinnear Picture: Andy Payton
Dover manager Chris Kinnear Picture: Andy Payton

On the back of superb away wins at Tranmere and Aldershot, boss Chris Kinnear named an unchanged side against a side who had scored 12 goals against Dover in their previous three meetings.

Manny Parry saw a fierce shot blocked in a scramble following a long-throw from Mitch Pinnock in the opening few minutes while Turgott shot straight at Mitch Walker from an angle inside five minutes after Giancarlo Gallifuoco was caught out.

The Australian defender was beaten by the pacy Shaun Jeffers four minutes later after a quick clearance by keeper Smith but his low cross into the box was air-kicked by lively wing-back Kane Smith.

Midway through the half Josh Passley got to the byline and pulled back for Ryan Bird, whose low shot was superbly blocked by Wood skipper Mark Ricketts and from the resultant corner from Mitch Pinnock, Bird's downward header was hacked off the line by David Stephens.

As the rain came down the chances dried up and Smith shot tamely at Walker after a corner was half-cleared but after a scrappy period of play the deadlock was broken two minutes before half-time.

Connor Essam dwelt on the ball at the back and his attempted clearance cannoned off Burgott and fell for the Wood man to race through from 25 yards out.

Walker did rush off his line and made himself big and took the sting out of Turgott's initial shot with a strong right hand, but Turgott picked up the rebound and slotted between the despairing dives of Gallifuoco and Essam on the line.

Mitch Brundle's deflected 30-yard blast did loop a foot over the bar seconds before the break but the visitors began the second half brightly and Walker had to make a superb save on 53 minutes to claw a Danny Woodards header off the line after a corner.

Chris Kinnear brought on Kadell Daniel and Tobi Sho-Silva to try and change the pattern of play but it was Jeffers who had the next sight of goal with 20 minutes to play as he lashed high and wide from 25 yards.

The rain teemed down and Dover frustrations mounted as they just could not keep hold of the ball in the Wood half.

Wood keeper Smith was not called into action until the 88th minute when Pinnock curled a superb 25-yard free-kick towards the top corner, only for the flying keeper to tip over the bar with his fingertips.

Bird saw a shot deflected past the angle as Dover piled on late pressure but they could not fashion an equaliser and their home record extended to one win five this season ahead of Saturday's visit of Chester.

Dover: Walker, Passley, Gallifuoco, Essam, Parry, Ilesanmi (Richards 83mins), Brundle, Pinnock, Nortey (Daniel 67mins), Allen (Sho-Silva 58mins), Bird. Subs: Lewington, Fazakerley.

Boreham Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Woodards, Rickets, Wells, Stephens, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Jeffers, Turgott. Subs: Benson, Bozkurt, Sach, Keita, Thomas.

Attendance: 1,012.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More