Neighbour saves family's home from fire
by Graham Tutthill firstname.lastname@example.org
A smoke detector and an alert neighbour saved the home of a
young Dover family on Monday.
The alarm was raised just before 11am when a resident of
Clarendon Road heard a smoke alarm sounding in a neighbour’s
three-storey terraced house.
When there was no reply to a knock on the door, the neighbour
looked through the letterbox and saw the house was filling with
Two Dover fire crews attended and fire-fighters wearing
breathing apparatus broke into the house.
They discovered that the family had gone out, but had left a pan
of eggs cooking on a hob in the basement kitchen and it had
overheated, creating a lot of smoke.
The fire crews used apositive pressure ventilation fan to clear
smoke form the property.
This incident followed another cooking related fire in Douglas
Road, Dover on November 15 when a chip pan caught alight after
being left unattended when the occupant became momentarily
Watch Manager Antony Scott said: “Fortunately, no one was
injured as a result of these fires, but both highlight just how
important it is to take care in the kitchen. A moment’s distraction
can lead to disaster.
"Always keep an eye on what you are cooking, make sure you
switch off all cooking appliances and remove pans from the hob
“Working smoke alarms really do provide early warning to a fire
in your home, significantly reducing the risk to your life in the
unfortunate event of a fire."
If there is a fire, get out, stay out and dial 999.
For further free advice on fire safety call 0800 9237000 or
watch the cooking safety film at www.standbyyourpan.com.
- Click here for more Deal, Dover and Sandwich news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...