Kent Fire and Rescue Service fire engine
A family in Deal were lucky to escape unharmed after a kitchen fire broke out in their home in the early hours of Monday morning.
Kent Fire and Rescue said the blaze could have had devastating consequences as the family’s smoke alarms were switched off.
Two fire engines were called to the incident at Hamilton Road at around 2.30am when the residents reported that their oven had caught alight.
The fire is believed to have started when one of the sons returned home from a night out and started cooking on the hob.
Kent Fire and Rescue spokesman Alan Bradford said: “As is all too common in these situations, he left it unattended and the saucepan and its contents caught alight.
“Although smoke alarms had been fitted in the property these had been deactivated and the fire burned undetected until the mum, who was reading upstairs, heard noises from the kitchen and went to investigate.”
The fire caused extensive damage to the oven and kitchen cabinets and the rest of the ground floor was damaged by smoke.
“The family were fortunate that mum was still awake...this fire could have had far more devastating consequences” - Dave Potter.
Fire crews arrived within seven minutes and evacuated the family. They woe breathing apparatus and brought the flames under control with a hose reel jet.
Deal watch manager, Dave Potter, who attended the incident, said: “I cannot stress enough the dangers of cooking when you’re tired after a night out.
“If you’re planning on returning late the safest option is to have a meal prepared before hand rather then trying to put something together on the hob when you get home.
“I would also like to remind people to make sure their smoke alarms are maintained to give you the earliest warning of a fire breaking out in your home.
“The family were fortunate that mum was still awake as with the smoke alarms not working this fire could have had far more devastating consequences.”
For further advice call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 9237 000 or visit the website at www.3breaths.info.