Clear spells


13°C | 4°C

Mostly Cloudy


11°C | 3°C

Mostly sunny


16°C | 3°C

Home   Folkestone   News   Article

More than 30 firefighters deal with blaze at Cherry Pickers pub in Ashley Avenue, Folkestone

25 May 2014
by Hayley Robinson

A fire at a derelict pub is finally out.

More than 30 firefighters tackled the blaze after six engines and a height ladder were sent to the Cherry Pickers in Ashley Avenue, Folkestone, at 11.20am.

Hose reel jets were used to deal with the blaze which was extinguished just before 2.10pm.

More than 20 firefighters are tackling the blaze at the former pub

More than 30 firefighters tackled the blaze at the former pub. Picture: Kyle Tyler

The cause is currently unknown.

The road was closed at the junction with Tile Kiln Lane and Shaftesbury Avenue so Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) could deal with the incident. All routes are now open to traffic.

Scroll down for video

Kyle Tyler, 14, was a passenger in his dad Nigel's car when he took a photo of the incident as they passed it.

The pair were on their way to drop some items off at a relative's house before making their way to Maidstone.

Mr Tyler, 45, of Wear Bay Road, Folkestone, is the owner of the children's indoor play centre Kidz Planet which is 200 yards away from the former watering-hole.

Crews used a height ladder and hose reels to tackle the blaze. Picture Danny Mantle

Crews used a height ladder and hose reels to tackle the blaze. Picture: Danny Mantle

He said: "We saw the smoke about 11.30am because my business is right near it.

"When we went by there was one fire engine and the fire officer and another engine were turning up.

"I think it will be completely gutted as it looked like it had taken hold of the roof. I don't know if anyone was in it.

One of the firefighters inspecting the roof of the pub. Picture Danny Mantle

One of the firefighters inspecting the roof of the pub. Picture: Danny Mantle

"The pub closed about a year ago and was going to be turned into flats then it was bought by a chain and reopened as a pub before being taken over by an individual. They tried to make it work but it closed about a month ago and someone said they saw a removal van there last week."


Video: The aftermath of the fire

A spokesman for KFRS said: "There are no reports of any injuries and the cause of the fire will be investigated."

Kent police added: "The incident lies with KFRS at this stage and we are in liaison with them as is normal practice."

Click here for more news from Folkestone.

Click here for more news from around the county.


Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email or call 01634 227989.