Published: 13:30, 01 September 2017 |
Updated: 14:13, 01 September 2017
Around 60 residents had to be evacuated from their homes after a gas leak.
It is believed that flash floods from earlier ruptured a gas main in a block of flats along the Sandgate Esplanade.
Emergency services raced to the scene to make sure all the residents were safe and placed a cordon on the area until the burst pipe was located.
Kent County Council are at the scene to monitor the damage and people are now being allowed to return back to their homes.
Police Inspector Gregg McNeil said: "The drain lifted in the flood and then there was a smell of gas.
"You can smell it now. We closed down the road to secure the area."
Mark Morgan, 35, is an electrician from Hythe who was working in the Sandgate Hotel at the time of the evacuation.
He said: "I was working in one of the rooms and I was told to leave.
"About 15 people were ordered out and I could smell gas as I walked out."
"I'm worried about my tools as they're still in there."
A Police spokesman said: "The leak was reported at around 1pm on Friday 1 September 2017.
"Brewers Hill has been cordoned off for engineers from SGN to locate and fix the leak.
"Residents are advised to keep their windows closed as a precaution while the work is being carried out."
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
We have four editions of our Kent Homes, Gardens and Interiors magazine for you to read. Click here to view them all.