Clear spells


22°C | 11°C

Sunny spells


21°C | 13°C

Sunny spells


22°C | 12°C

Home   Folkestone   Sport   Article

Folkestone Invicta 2 Herne Bay 1 match report

19 March 2014
by Steve Tervet

Frankie Chappell

Frankie Chappell

Frankie Chappell's fantastic early strike sent Folkestone on their way to victory over Kent rivals Herne Bay on Tuesday night.

Invicta were 2-0 up at half-time and seemingly in control but Bay responded to a half-time rocket from manager Sam Denly and halved the deficit after the restart.

The home side weren't at their best but they did enough to close the game out, consolidating their place in the Ryman League Division 1 South play-off places.

Less than three minutes had elapsed when Chappell struck. The big centre-half unloaded with a fantastic volley from the edge of the box and the ball whistled past former Folkestone keeper Jack Delo.

Stuart King, another Bay player up lining up against his old club, tried his luck at the other end but his shot curled over.

Back came the hosts and when Dane Luchford's right-wing cross was helped on, Matt Newman had a shot well-saved by Delo at the near post.

Some sloppy defending by Invicta almost allowed Herne Bay back into the game. They lost the ball on the edge of the box and King scooped a clever pass into the path of Ben Brown, who forced a good save from Tim Roberts.

But Folkestone doubled their lead in the final minute of the first half. Herne Bay weren't happy about the award of a free-kick on the right-hand corner of the box and Denly's mood blackened further when Chris Elliott whipped the ball inside the unguarded near post.

Whoever was more at fault, Delo or his wall, it was a cheap goal to concede.

The Herne Bay players were sent out early for the second half with Denly's angry words still ringing in their ears.

And they looked a different side when play restarted, pushing Folkestone back into their own half.

Kind dragged a shot wide for Bay, although they couldn't prevent Invicta carving out more good chances at the other end.

James Everitt fired Josh Vincent's cutback wide and when Paul Booth squeezed in a good cross, Johan Ter Horst - playing for the first time since signing a three-year deal with Hull City - headed straight at Delo.

But the game took on a different feel when Bay scored on 61 minutes. Michael Turner played the ball down the inside-right channel and Joe Nelder, who'd only been on the pitch for two minutes, fired a shot across Roberts into the far corner.

Folkestone were flat but Bay weren't able to take advantage.

And with the home crowd willing Ter Horst to get on the scoresheet, the teenager went close to making it 3-1 in the closing stages when his header from James Everitt's cross flew inches wide of the far post.

Folkestone: Roberts, Vincent, Elliott, Friend, Chappell, Newman, Luchford (Stevenson 77mins), J Everitt, Ter Horst, Booth (Yianni 90mins), M Everitt. Subs not used: Edge, Austin.

Herne Bay: Delo, M Turner, Sayer, Walder, Sanders, Benner, H Brown (Casey 85mins), B Brown, King, O'Connell (J Turner 59mins), Grant (Nelder 59mins). Subs not used: Eastwood, Phillip.

Attendance: 211.

Click here for more sport from Folkestone.

Click here for more news from around the county.