Home   Gravesend   News   Article

Rebaz Mohammed jailed after attacking waiter with shards of glass in Gravesend

A Kurdish cafe customer went berserk and attacked a waiter with shards of glass, severing a tendon in his wrist, a court heard.

Rebaz Mohammed lashed out at Sirwah Rashedi and his chef Arep Amad after throwing a brick through the glass door.

He became violent after being told to stop shouting and swearing as he sat eating outside the cafe in Gravesend.

Rebaz Mohammed. Picture: Kent Police

He also threw a hot tea in Mr Rashedi’s face and repeatedly punched him during the attack on August 17, 2015.

The waiter tried to shield himself with a plastic chair as Mohammed attacked him with shattered glass.

The 27-year-old also pulled out a knife and tried to stab Mr Rashedi. But Mr Amad came off worse when he was stabbed three times to his arm as he tried to protect his colleague.

A knife found at the scene of the crime with a splatter of blood next to it

Mohammed admitted wounding Mr Rashedi, assaulting Mr Amad causing actual bodily harm and destroying property.

He was jailed for three years and two months when he appeared at Maidstone Crown Court for sentence on Monday.

Judge Charles Macdonald QC told Mohammed: “For no apparent reason you launched a frenzied attack. These men were providing a service to the public.”

Forensic vans were stationed in Queen Street

Mohammed, from Chester, went into the cafe in an alleyway off Queen Street in the early evening and demanded “lots of food”, said prosecutor Abigail White.

He was given two kebabs, rice and bread, but started threatening to kill staff and customers.

When Mr Rashedi repeatedly told him to calm down, hot tea was thrown in his face.

Miss White said Mohammed was extremely aggressive and angry, and continued his attack on the waiter, punching him repeatedly and then lashing out with the glass.

“Mr Amad tried protect his colleague, shouting ‘Stop, calm down’, but was stabbed three times to his arm,” she said.

A blood-stained chair where one of the victims of the stabbing sat after the incident
Blood splattered on the ground in the alleyway in Queen Street, Gravesend

“Mohammed picked up shards of glass and started throwing them directly at Mr Rashedi.

“He was unable to protect himself and received a deep laceration to his right wrist, and numerous cuts and bruises to his arm and just below his eyebrow, and lumps to the back of his head.”

Mr Rashedi needed surgery to his arm to repair the tendon. His arm was in plaster for two months and he needed physiotherapy.

Kieran Brand, defending, said Mohammed acted out of character as a result of symptoms from two head injured he suffered in 2001 and then in 2015.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More