Share

Clear spells

Wed

25°C | 13°C

Mostly sunny

Thu

24°C | 14°C

Sunny spells

Fri

23°C | 14°C

Home   Gravesend   News   Article

Family escape kitchen fire in their Gravesend home after chip pan goes up in flames

07 May 2014
by Lynn Cox
A family had to flee their home after a chip pan caught alight in their kitchen. 
 
The fire broke out at about 1.15am on Saturday morning at a house in Rose Avenue, Gravesend.
 
It is believed the occupants were woken by their smoke alarm and were able to get out of the property without suffering any injury. 
 
Library image

Library image

 
Chelina Watson, 35, who lives in the house with her family, said that her first priority was getting her children to safety.
 
She said: "I was shocked and I was scared.
 
"I've got an eight week old baby and my other children, so I was just concentrating on getting them out safely." 
 
A crew from Thames-side used breathing apparatus to enter the property and put the fire out and said the kitchen suffered some smoke blackening damage during the incident. 
 
A spokesman added: “Everyone got out OK and we were on the scene for about an hour.”
 
It is understood one of the occupants had fallen asleep while the chip pan had been left on the cooker.
 

Click here for more news from Gravesend.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.