Published: 10:10, 12 January 2018
Departing Ebbsfleet vice-chairman Peter Varney has quashed rumours linking him with a return to Charlton Athletic.
Mr Varney leaves the Fleet board this weekend and speculation has been rife ever since the club announced he would be replaced by Dean Pooley after the FA Trophy tie against Warrington.
Plenty of Addicks fans would love him back at The Valley but it's not going to happen.
Mr Varney said: "I am not representing or involved with any buyer looking to acquire Charlton Athletic FC.
"A couple of years ago I was asked to broker a meeting with an overseas investor I had met on several occasions who was looking to invest up to £100m into the club but the owner declined to take up an offer to meet me and the investor either in Belgium or London, accusing me of being a billboard salesman and a middle man (for the record I never sought a penny from him for the introduction by the way) which was insulting from someone I had never met."
Mr Varney used his final programme notes to set the record straight on several points.
He said: "Please ignore the nonsense you may have read on social media in the last week.
"I have not been sacked. It is my sole decision to leave at this time which I believe is the right time for all concerned.
"I have fully recovered from my prostate cancer operation last September which kept me at home for three weeks and I have the 'all clear' thanks to the skill of the brilliant surgical team at Guy's Hospital.
"I am not retiring due to old age! I would like to carrying on working as long as I can.
"My wife is dreading having me anywhere near the house for fear I will start reorganising things!"
Read the full column in Ebbsfleet's matchday programme on Saturday.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.