Dog starts fire in Gravesend
Firefighters have dealt with a fire at a flat in Gravesend –
believed to have been started by a dog.
Crews were called to the blaze in the kitchen of a basement flat
in Pier Road at 3.10pm yesterday.
A neighbour spotted smoke coming out of a vent and raised the
Realising that the occupant was out and that two dogs were
trapped inside, the neighbour let herself into the property and led
the pets to safety, closing the internal doors behind her on the
It is believed that the fire was caused by one of the dogs
jumping up and turning on the electric hob.
This is thought to have ignited an item on top of the stove,
which then spread to the surrounding kitchen units.
Two fire engines attended the scene and crews wearing breathing
apparatus extinguished the fire.
The hob and the surrounding units were damaged by fire and
Smoke damage was contained to the kitchen and hallway of the
property due to the doors being closed.
Thames-side watch manager Vicki Brown said: “We never advise
anyone to enter a property where there is a fire, as the toxic
smoke can be deadly.
"On this occasion, the neighbour was extremely lucky and her
kind-hearted actions probably saved the dogs’ lives, but at
considerable risk to her own safety.”
- Click here for more Gravesend news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...