Man taken to hospital after flat fire
Firefighters were called to a
flat fire this morning which resulted in a man going to
Two fire engines were called to
Rose Street shortly after 1am after he reported a fire in his
Crews wearing breathing
apparatus quickly put out the blaze using a hose reel jet and
vented smoke from the property.
The fire is believed to have
started when a cigarette was accidentally knocked over causing the
carpet and sofa to smoulder before catching alight.
The flat had a working smoke
alarm which awoke the home owner.
The resident was given oxygen at
the scene after suffering from smoke inhalation and was taken to
hospital for a precautionary check.
Thames-side crew manager John
Allwright said: "This incident shows just how important it is to
fit and maintain working smoke alarms in your home.
"Without the alarm activating,
the fire could have remained undetected not only causing more
damage but also putting the victims’ life at risk.
"I would also urge people who do
smoke in the home to ensure that cigarettes and cigars are fully
stubbed out before being discarded."
- Click here for more Gravesend news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...