Woman saved from blaze in Meopham
Quick thinking neighbours saved an elderly woman's life after a
fire broke out in her bungalow.
The woman, believed to be 80 years old, was asleep at her home
in Meopham when the fire broke out.
She was woken by her neighbours who rushed across the road and
managed to rouse her by banging on the door.
They led her to safety and phoned the fire service.
Four fire engines from Thames-side, Dartford and Strood were sent
to the property in New Road just after 6am.
Crews used two main jets, a hose reel and a hydrant to tackle
the blaze, which started in the roof space and spread to the ground
Thames-side Watch Manager, Ray Kilbourne, said: “This was a serious
fire and the bungalow was almost destroyed. The first crew could
see the flames from about half a mile away. Without the quick
actions of the neighbours, the lady may not have survived, as the
fire spread very quickly.
“This fire demonstrates how important it is to have working smoke
alarms in your home. They stand guard around the clock and when
they sense smoke, sound a shrill alarm, giving people the precious
but limited time they need to escape.”
The fire is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault in
the loft, destroying the roof and much of the ground floor.
The blaze was extinguished by 8.30am but crews remained at the
scene until just after 11am, damping down hot spots and assisting
with salvage work.
- Click here for more Gravesend news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...