Washing machine catches fire
A Gravesend couple had a lucky escape when a fire broke out at
their home this morning.
The homeowners were alerted to the blaze, believed to have been
caused by a fault in a washing machine, by their smoke alarm and
fled uninjured to a neighbour's house.
Two fire engines from Thames-side attended the fire at the
two-storey terraced house in Clarence Place just after 8am.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus went into the property and
extinguished the fire with a hose reel.
They used a fan to clear smoke before removing the washing machine
from the property.
Crew Manager Ray Kilbourne said: “Hearing the smoke alarm sounding
helped this couple get out of their home safely and call the fire
“Fires can break out in electrical appliances and power outlets
with very little warning.
"For this reason I would strongly recommend that residents fit
working smoke alarms on each floor of their homes and test them
"They really can save your life.”
A third of the kitchen was fire damaged and the whole house was
heavily smoke logged.
A Red Cross Victim Support Unit was also sent to assist the
- Click here for more Gravesend news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...