The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
6°C | -4°C
4°C | -1°C
5°C | 0°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Herne Bay News Article
A man suffered serious facial injuries after he was attacked with a machete during a suspected burglary in Herne.
The man was at home on the quiet private estate in Ruskins View when two men are believed to have assaulted him and another man at 3.10am on Monday morning.
He was taken to the QEQM hospital in Margate with serious injuries to his face, but they were not thought to be life-threatening.
Neighbours described waking up to the sound of police sirens and shouting in the street.
School Lane resident Peggy Pell’s home is part of the Ruskins View development.
She said: “I had got up in the night and heard a lady shouting. I saw the police cars and ambulance all the way up the road.
“I’m very surprised that something like this has happened. I thought we should be quite safe living here.”
Morrisons baker Matthew Conrad was driving to work in Canterbury from his home in Broomfield at 4.30am and saw the aftermath of the incident.
He said: “There were three police cars and two ambulances parked in School Lane when I drove past, which was pretty unusual.
“It’s a bit scary. I’ve never seen anything like that before.
“I later saw on Facebook that people had been woken up by it with people shouting in the street.
“I’ve got friends who live there so I wanted to check to see what had happened.”
Malcolm Lewis, who lives opposite the gated estate, added: “I didn’t see anything, but normally the most exciting thing that ever happens round here is the occasional teenage motorist speeding on Friday or Saturday night.
“But hearing about this, it’s not something you’d expect in this sort of quiet residential area.”
Police remained at the scene until 10am on Monday.
They have since charged David Capper, 35, and Deny Geater, 38, both of East Street in Canterbury, with aggravated burglary, malicious wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and possessing an offensive weapon in a public place.
The duo appeared before Medway magistrates on Monday, May 19, and will face trial at Canterbury Crown Court.
They will attend a preliminary hearing on Monday, June 9.
Click here for more news from Herne Bay.
Click here for more news from around the county.