Home   Herne Bay   News   Article

Herne Bay: Travellers set up camp on Memorial Park, Herne Bay

By KentOnline reporter

Up to 20 caravans that moved onto a park dedicated to the war dead have left.

Bosses at Canterbury City Council earlier said they are aware "of a traveller incursion" after the group set up camp on the Memorial Park in Herne Bay last night.

The park was completed in the mid 1930s and opened as a memorial to those who lost their lives in the First World War with names of all the town's war dead on a cenotaph at the end of a tree-line Avenue of Remembrance.

Travellers on the Memorial Park. Picture Chris Davey

Travellers on the Memorial Park. Picture: Chris Davey

The Memorial Park was completed in the mid 1930s

The Memorial Park was completed in the mid 1930s

There are also tennis courts and a popular child's play area.

Canterbury City Council say they are aware of a traveller incursion. Picture Chris Davey

Canterbury City Council says it is aware "of a traveller incursion". Picture: Chris Davey

Earlier on Tuesday, a group of travellers were evicted from Jackey Baker's in Ramsgate.

A Canterbury City Council spokesman said: "We picked up on the arrival of a group of travellers at Memorial Park late on Tuesday evening and our enforcement officers attended on Wednesday morning with the police. 

"Following discussions with the group, led by our enforcement manager, they left in convoy at around 12.20pm.
 
"Two caravans remained, which they said they would be returning for.
 
"Although we are unsure of their next destination, we have staff on duty at some other key sites in the district to prevent entry and our CCTV team is also monitoring the situation.
 
"Serco will inspect the park and carry out any cleaning required."
Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More