Home   Hythe   News   Article

Sandgate Parish Council rejects Princes Parade plans

By Sean Axtell

Battle lines were drawn between Shepway District Council and Sandgate Parish Council when parishioners voted unanimously against the development of Princes Parade last week.

It comes after the district council last month applied to its own planning committee for permission to build 150 new homes, complete with green space on the old landfill site.

Plans Artist's impression of Princes Parade - Shepway District Council

Plans: Artist's impression of Princes Parade - Shepway District Council

Parish council chairman Tim Prater was one of those who refused to support the proposals at the extraordinary meeting last Tuesday.

He said: “I object personally and I’m delighted the parish council objected.

“Everyone agrees we should get a new swimming pool but Princes Parade is not available for development.

“A suitable site has already been agreed in Martello Lakes eight or nine years ago, I don’t understand why a pool can’t be built there.

“We are only one objection. We know there has been an abundance of objections made to the district council.

“I believe where you have a council applying to itself for controversial planning permission it will likely go to the secretary of state,” he said after the meeting.

At the time of writing Shepway’s planning portal showed 449 residents officially objected to the plans against 149 in favour, a disapproval rating of 66%.

The lion’s share of objections cite the area’s beauty, the need to preserve the historic military canal and the removal of open space.

Artist's impression of Princes Parade - Shepway District Council

Artist's impression of Princes Parade - Shepway District Council

But Hythe Town Council poured cold water over the protests when it voted in favour of the proposals last week.

Plans and works committee chairman Keith Miles used his casting vote to support the bid – to shouts of “shame on you” from a packed public gallery.

The authority continues to champion its planning bid.

The Princes Parade Now Facebook page has significantly increased its rallying cries for public support as the deadline for consultation looms.

It was set up by the authority’s public relations consultants for the project, Edwards Harvey.

Its latest post says: “Both local and national planning policies support developments of this type, but your backing is equally essential. Don’t let others speak on your behalf.”

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More