Home   Kent Business   County news   Article

Kent on Sunday to close by end of November blaming 'challenging period' for newspaper industry

By Chris Price

Weekly free newspaper Kent on Sunday is to close at the end of the month, blaming a “challenging period” for the industry.

First published 15 years ago, the last edition will hit newsstands on November 26, following an announcement from the title’s owner Archant this morning.

It was confirmed there will be “a number of redundancies”, although Archant will try to find roles for “as many staff as we can” elsewhere in the group.

The last edition of Kent on Sunday will be published on November 26

The last edition of Kent on Sunday will be published on November 26

Its sister website KentNews.co.uk will also close.

Jeff Henry, chief executive of Archant, said the announced of the closure came “with much regret”.

He said: “It has been a challenging period for the newspaper industry as a whole and whilst we have sought to stabilise this part of the business over many years, the continuing decline in commercial revenues has had an adverse effect on this newspaper title.

“I would like to thank the committed members of staff who have worked tirelessly to make Kent on Sunday one of the most revered regional newspapers in the country.

“We will aim to find roles for as many staff as we can across other parts of the Archant portfolio, but we believe that there will be a number of redundancies as a result of this change.”

"It has been a challenging period for the newspaper industry as a whole and whilst we have sought to stabilise this part of the business over many years, the continuing decline in commercial revenues has had an adverse effect on this newspaper title..." - Jeff Henry, Archant

Archant bought KOS Media, the publisher of Kent on Sunday, for an undisclosed sum in 2010, having previously held a minority stake in the business.

ABC figures to the end of December 2016 showed Kent On Sunday’s distribution stood at 42,234.

Kent on Sunday editor Chris Britcher said: “Obviously we are all hugely disappointed at the decision.

“However, we have seen the direction the industry is going in and the challenges we have faced have been enormous.

“We all take enormous pride in Kent on Sunday and during its 15 years I have worked with some fabulously talented people - and continue to do so.

“We will ensure our last two editions celebrate our legacy.”

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More