Published: 09:20, 24 February 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
A blaze broke out at Rainham Mark Grammar School in the early hours of this morning - destroying the science block.
Firefighters battled against thick black acrid smoke to stop it spreading to other buildings at the school in Pump Lane.
It is believed it was sparked by a faulty battery tester in the laboratory.
Head teacher Simon Decker said: “I can’t thank the fire crews enough. They were here within three minutes and averted what could have been a real disaster as we keep a lot of chemicals in rooms near by.”
Twelve firefighters from Medway wearing breathing apparatus used a special fan to pump air into the block to prevent an explosion.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Neil Miller, Hever Castle head gardener is new gardening blogger.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.