Home   Kent   News   Article

Disgusting items people in Kent found in their food

By KentOnline reporter

Consumers in Kent have been left shocked and disgusted by some of the items they found in their food.

A dad was stunned when maggots crawled out of a tin of baked beans and in another case a woman discover a 8.5" bolt in her frozen chips.

Here are 10 examples of disgusting items found by people in Kent.

The jelly was covered in mould
The jelly was covered in mould

1) Mouldy jelly

A food manufacturer was forced to apologise to a Tunstall pensioner after she found mould languishing in a pot of jelly. Jean Clarke's snack was ruined when she unwrapped it to find the green substance in the packet. The 74-year-old made the discovery in 2016.

2) 'These biscuits taste like plastic'

We've all been there. You fancy a cup of tea but it's not quite complete until you've got a biscuit to go with it. Only then you discover a shard of plastic within your sweet treat. A rogue piece was found in a packet of McVities Rich Tea by a couple from Strood.

Danny and Caroline Williams found a piece of plastic in their biscuits
Danny and Caroline Williams found a piece of plastic in their biscuits

3) Chips for tea

The last thing you expect to find when you open up a bag of frozen chips is an eight-and-a-half inch bolt. But that is exactly what happened to grandmother Jean Brown. She was preparing dinner when the metal object fell out.

Jean Brown with her 8.5 inch bolt and chips
Jean Brown with her 8.5 inch bolt and chips

4) Chinese restaurant closed

A Chinese restaurant was forced to close for several days after an infestation of mice was found in 2014. The Real China, at Leviathan Way, Medway, has since received a 'good' four star rating from the Food Standards Agency at its latest inspection in February last year.

5) 'Not another bolt'

A fish and chip shop on the Isle of Sheppey had to apologise after it served up a bolt. Clair Green went to The Galley Fisheries, Leysdown, for a meal with her partner Pat and 21-year-old daughter Sarah-Leigh in 2016.

The bolt allegedly found in fish and chips from the Galley Fish Bar, Leysdown
The bolt allegedly found in fish and chips from the Galley Fish Bar, Leysdown

6) Perhaps not beans on toast tonight then...

A horrified father came across maggots as he was about to dish up for his 18-month-old daughter. The creatures were found crawling around in a tin of beans from Aldi. The supermarket apologised in 2016 and offered Dean Smith a full refund.

Dean Smith found maggots inside this tin of beans he brought from Aldi
Dean Smith found maggots inside this tin of beans he brought from Aldi

7) McDonald's drink had screw inside

It's not something you expect to see in a drink from the fast food chain but one unlucky customer in Dover discovered a bolt among the ice cubs. Russell Mayes had brought it in 2016 before heading back to work. When he got back to the office he discovered a metal screw bolt in his cup. McDonald's said food safety is their highest priority.

Russell Mayes found this part in his Coca-Cola drink from the McDonald's in Dover
Russell Mayes found this part in his Coca-Cola drink from the McDonald's in Dover

8) Pill found in crisps

A woman was left "disgusted" after she found a white pill among her packet of beef-flavoured Seabrook crisps. Tara Dolman said the tablet could've made her sick dad seriously ill when it was reported at the time in 2014. At the time a spokesman for the company said it was waiting for results of a test before taking action.

The pill was found in a packet of crisps
The pill was found in a packet of crisps

9) 'This is one smoky meal'

A cigarette was found in a customer's Indian takeaway. The diner said he found it in a curry bought from Masala Reef, Sheerness, in 2016. The manager of the restaurant said at the time: "That cigarette butt did not come from our place."

The diner said he found a cigarette butt in his meal
The diner said he found a cigarette butt in his meal

10) Rotting mouse corpse

A rotting mouse corpse was found by environmental health officers when they inspected a Medway convenience store in 2014.

Rotting mouse corpse discovered in beans
Rotting mouse corpse discovered in beans

Gurkha SP4 Mini Market in Brompton High Street, Gillingham, was immediately shut after the discovery was made.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More