Published: 08:51, 01 April 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
An elderly woman and her grandson have been taken to hospital with burns after they tried to put out a fire at a house in Tonbridge.
It is thought the blaze was started in the lounge of the property on Barden Road by several tea lights which had been lit for celebrations marking the Nepalese New Year.
The grandmother discovered the blaze and burned her hands as she tried to bring it under control.
Her teenage son suffered burns to his back when tried to put out the fire with a bowl of water, causing the flames to flare up.
They were both taken to hospital although it's not thought the burns are serious.
Watch Manager Derek Patey said: "This incident highlights several important safety messages, the first being about the risks of trying to tackle a fire yourself, as this can result in injury.
"The best advice on discovering a fire in your home is to get out, stay out and call the fire service out.
"Secondly, I would advise all residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted on each floor of their home and to test them weekly to ensure they will provide early warning should a fire break out."
He added: "In addition, I would advise people to take care when using candles, especially during times of celebration when it is easy to get distracted, and to never leave them unattended."
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Neil Miller, Hever Castle head gardener is new gardening blogger.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.