Share

Clear

Fri

22°C | 12°C

Sunny spells

Sat

18°C | 11°C

Moderate showers

Sun

16°C | 10°C

Home   Kent   News   Article

Elderly woman and grandson injured in blaze

01 April 2012

An elderly woman and her grandson have been taken to hospital with burns after they tried to put out a fire at a house in Tonbridge.

It is thought the blaze was started in the lounge of the property on Barden Road by several tea lights which had been lit for celebrations marking the Nepalese New Year.

The grandmother discovered the blaze and burned her hands as she tried to bring it under control.

Her teenage son suffered burns to his back when tried to put out the fire with a bowl of water, causing the flames to flare up.

They were both taken to hospital although it's not thought the burns are serious.

Watch Manager Derek Patey said: "This incident highlights several important safety messages, the first being about the risks of trying to tackle a fire yourself, as this can result in injury.

"The best advice on discovering a fire in your home is to get out, stay out and call the fire service out.

"Secondly, I would advise all residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted on each floor of their home and to test them weekly to ensure they will provide early warning should a fire break out."

He added: "In addition, I would advise people to take care when using candles, especially during times of celebration when it is easy to get distracted, and to never leave them unattended."

 

Click here for more news from Kent.

Click here for more news from around the county.